Milan has over 15 years of international management experience, 12 years of which in the down- and mid-stream value chain of the solar industry, serving at senior management positions in China, Hong Kong and Singapore with a leading project developer – Sunseap Group, an EPC contractor – Rays Experts and two module manufacturing companies – REC Group and CNPV Solar Power. Milan is acting as CEO of Hexagon Peak since February 2019, running the business operations of the company on 5 markets in Southeast-Asia.
Prior to his latest role, he served as Vice-President International Business Development at Sunseap Group, one of the largest IPPs in the region, where he was responsible for Project Development and Asset Management of the group’s projects in 8 countries in Asia (including Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Philippines) exceeding US$1bn. He was heading the development and overseeing the construction of some of the largest solar power plants in ASEAN – a 168 MW solar farm and subsequently a 400 MW project, both in Ninh Thuan province, Vietnam.
Before Sunseap, Milan held the position of Vice-President Sales and Marketing Asia-Pacific at one of the world’s most prominent manufacturers of solar modules – REC Solar. He was overseeing the group’s business in supplying solar panels as well as its rooftop solar systems in Singapore. Milan was responsible for the business entities of REC with 7 regional offices, managing 14 countries throughout APAC and over US$200m of revenue per year with a team of 25 key account managers and directors. Milan helped the company to establish its presence in key markets, such as Australia, Japan and Taiwan. His experience with REC Group has been beneficial in establishing strong relationships with leading project developers, EPC companies and distributions around Asia-Pacific.
In addition Milan acted as Managing Director of Rays Experts Singapore – a Singapore based Joint-Venture company with a leading Indian EPC with over 400 MWp of commissioned installations. Milan helped the group to establish its presence in SEA, focusing on development, investment, construction and operations of Commercial & Industrial (C&I) rooftop solar systems.
Milan started his career in solar as Head of Marketing and Business Development of CNPV Solar Power, a Chinese modules manufacturer, where he established the marketing and business divisions of the company on 3 continents (North America, Europe and Middle East and North Africa – MENA) and helped transform the company from a local Chinese manufacturer to a global established brand.
Milan is available for consultations on following topics: Project & Equity Financing; Legal Frameworks and country specific regulations; Market Analysis and Research; Structuring of Power Purchase Agreements (PPA); Financial Modeling and IRR Analysis; Key Market Participants; Marketing and Sales Strategies; Supply Chain Management and Project Execution; Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) Analysis and country specific project CAPEX and OPEX; Mergers and Acquisitions; Electricity and Feed-in-Tariffs (FiT); Industry Outlook and Forecast.
Milan has experience in consulting scope including: phone interviews, attendance at customer’s workshops, seminars and conferences; due diligence projects with technical, legal or financial scope of work; companies or project pipelines evaluation and others. He is ready to advise on: Utility Scale Solar and Wind Projects; Rooftop C&I and Residential Projects; Floating Solar; Solar and Storage and Off-Grid Solar, as well as Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). He is best suited for consultations on Asia, with deep knowledge and experience in SEA: Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar and North Asia: Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.
Milan is a holder of Masters degree in Marketing from New Bulgarian University.
Chief Executive Officer of Hexagon Peak, Singapore
Februaru 2019 – Present
Hexagon Group is a development platform, established in February 2019 as a group holding company, headquartered in Singapore with its core business activities in Project Development, EPC and O&M, development and long term ownership of solar rooftop Commercial and Industrial (C&I) and utility scale projects, and trading with renewable energy attributes.
• Establishing the business as a legal entity and its JV structures in Korea, Thailand, Japan, Philippines and Vietnam.
• Selecting JV partners and negotiating the JV agreements, setting up business goals and business plans for each country.
• Expanding the business operations into Taiwan and Indonesia.
• Setting internal systems, such as financial model matrix, pipeline documenting process and communications with external parties, including investors, JV partners and introducers.
• Day to day management of partners and internal and external teams, such as vendors and suppliers – legal and accounting, due diligence, translation and logistics services, government and authorities.
• Weekly operational reports with JV partners with focus on pipeline growth and project status updates.
• Managing project budgeting and setting a corporate budget, including working capital for JVs.
• Supporting local JV partners on project documentation flow, project implementation and smooth and timely project progress, reaching set milestones, including obtaining permits and application, equity and debt financing.
Vice-President International Business Development of Sunseap Group, Singapore
September 2018 – May 2019
Sunseap was started by friends, Mr Frank Phuan and Mr Lawrence Wu, with the aim of delivering affordable and sustainable energy. Sunseap Group is the largest clean energy solutions provider in Singapore, with a portfolio of projects that range from rooftop installations to floating photovoltaic (PV) systems. The group holds 3 entities, Sunseap Leasing, Sunseap International and Sunseap Energy.
• Leading the development and structuring of utility scale and rooftop solar projects from early opportunity through the development cycle to financial close and COD.
• Negotiations for project acquisition and managing the acquisition/transaction process as well as negotiations with prospective development partners.
• Managing and coordinating internal and external project development efforts with JV partners including securing land, obtaining required local permits and approvals, securing interconnection rights from utilities negotiating PPAs with utilities, financial modelling, as well as securing project equity and debt financing.
• Taking the lead on market reviews, analyzing regulatory issues and policy supports for utility-scale solar and develop development strategies for countries or regions.
• Running bidding processes to submit bid packages in response to Request for Proposals (RFPs) from utilities, governments and private off-takers.
• Overseeing the development teams, including internal resources, engineering and legal consultants and development subcontractors.
Vice-President Sales & Marketing Asia-Pacific of REC Group, Singapore
July 2017 – September 2018
Founded in Norway in 1996, REC is a leading vertically integrated solar energy company. Through manufacturing from silicon to wafers, cells, high-quality panels and extending to solar solutions, REC provides the world with a reliable source of clean energy. REC’s renowned product quality is supported by the lowest warranty claims rate in the industry. REC is a Bluestar company with HQ in Norway and operational HQ in Singapore. REC employs more than 1,500 employees worldwide, producing 1.4 GW solar panels annually.
• Managing a Sales Team of 28 Key Account Managers and Country Heads and marketing, product development, systems management and sales administration and logistics staff.
• Heading REC’s Business Unit in Asia-Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, India, Sri Lanka and Singapore.
• Setting regional teams’ quarterly volume and ASP targets and optimising the regional P&L.
• Overseeing all marketing activities in APAC, including over 20 solar events per year.
• Increasing the number of customers while maintaining premium ASPs and reducing the average volume per order.
• Maintaining overall Net Promoter Score at Very Good level.
• Developing REC as a strong brand throughout APAC thanks to speaking participations, panel discussions and presentations at major industry conferences and seminars.
• Launching new products, such as N-Peak and coordinating with Product and Marketing Team certification and Bill of Materials requirements for new market entries or new policies.
• Improved overall ASPs despite strong competition from Tier 1 Chinese manufacturers.
• 119% overachieved quarterly sales volume targets for past 4 quarters and growing sales presence in emerging markets such as Southeast Asia and North Asia.
• Built a pipeline of over 3 GW of opportunities in APAC for H2 2018.
Partner and Managing Director of Rays Experts SEA, Singapore
May 2014 – June 2017
Rays Experts is a Singapore registered Joint Venture between Solarinfinite Ltd., a solar equipment distributor and EPC, with its registered HQ in Bulgaria and offices in the United Kingdom and Singapore and Rays Power Experts Pty. Ltd., one of the top EPC(F) company in India with a market share of 8% in 2015 and over 270 MW of completed projects on turn-key basis and over 400 MW as Engineering Consultant.
• Developing, financing and executing rooftop C&I and utility scale projects in APAC (Australia, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Bangladesh and Singapore).
• Overseeing the company’s financial performance, investments and other business ventures.
• Delegating responsibilities and supervising the work of a team of 6 executives providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance.
• Researching and analysing the industry, market, and competitors to make informed strategic decisions.
• Creating initiatives to take advantage of market opportunities, reducing operational threats, forestall business risks, and maximising core strengths.
• Setting company-wide KPI’s to gauge company performance in all areas.
• Planing and implementing the annual calendar of activities including fundraising initiatives, special events and the official administrative acts.
• Communicating and maintaining trust relationships with shareholders, business partners and authorities.
• Acting as the public speaker and public relations representative of the company in ways that strengthen its profile.
• Ensuring the company policies and legal guidelines are communicated all the way from the top down in the company and that they are followed at all times.
• Through an extended network of partners in each country, achieved over 120 MW of projects in the pipeline on bilateral PPAs with governments, utilities and MNCs in different development stages.
Head of Global Marketing of CNPV Solar Power, Hong Kong
July 2009 – April 2014
CNPV, founded in 2006, was a leading multi product solar company that produces ingots, wafers, cells and solar modules, and has strong presence in the solar photovoltaic space that designs, manufactures and supplies highly efficient and cost effective terrestrial crystalline solar photovoltaic modules, which provide reliable and environmentally clean electric power to on-grid and off-grid residential, commercial, industrial and utility scale applications throughout the world.
Head of Business Development
After establishing the international marketing team at CNPV in China I was promoted to Head of Business Development in Central and Eastern Europe, heading the business unit for the region.
• Motivating the sales team to achieve the best results possible.
• Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed in areas such as – business development, account management and administration and logistics.
• Implementing national sales programs by developing field sales action plans.
• Maintaining sales volume, product mix, and selling price by keeping current with supply and demand, changing trends, economic indicators, and competitors.
• Establishing and adjusting average selling prices by monitoring costs, competition, and supply and demand.
• Maintaining national sales staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
• Overseeing national sales staff sales results by disciplining employees, planning, monitoring, and appraising sales results.
• Identifying market opportunities for new customers, new segments and territories.
• Completing national sales operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees, following up on sales results.
• Adjusting selling prices by monitoring competition, and supply and demand.
• Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, seminars and conferences, reviewing professional publications and mainstream industry media, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies.
• Identifying key areas for improvement in sales processes.
• Acting as a spokesman for the organization at sales events and conferences.
• Overachieved Sales volume targets in 6 consecutive quarters.
• Opened and establishes the brand on 4 new markets for the company – Greece, Turkey, Romania and Bulgaria.
• Built a strong team of remote sales heads in 5 countries in Eastern and Central Europe.
Head of Global Marketing
• Crafting strategies for all Marketing teams, including Digital, Advertising, Communications and Creative.
• Budget Control.
• Events and Promotion Management.
• Global Market Intelligence Research and Analysis.
• All Channels Communication (incl. print, online, direct marketing etc.).
• Leading the transition in the perspective of marketing from a small local manufacturer into a large well recognized brand worldwide.
• Monthly reporting on marketing performance against budget and reports on variances.
• Designing and implementing sales promotional strategies.
• Ensuring the brand message is strong and consistent across all channels and marketing efforts (like events, email campaigns, web pages and promotional material).
• Monitoring competition (acquisitions, pricing changes and new products and features).
• A team of 12 established a marketing strategy, helping the company to become the 13th biggest manufacturer in 2014 with close to 850 MW of annual sales.
• Executed an aggressive marketing strategy, working together with sales offices in Asia, Europe and the United States.
• Served some of the biggest distributors and EPCs in the world, such as BayWa, Donauer, Phoenix Solar, etc. Key objective – to create a brand around our expertise in sales, warranties, back office support and reliability of the products, all of which has allowed us to place ourselves above average in ASP and customer satisfaction level.